Get Your Drive On

To get a true view of the Australian countryside and just have a great time with friends, many travellers find that taking advantage of their driving skills while down under is the way to go. But, are you all set and ready to roll? Read on to get the info behind driving in Australia as an overseas visitor.


Empty Road

Creative Commons License photo credit: Nicholas_T


An international visitor to New South Wales would be classified as any person that is in the area on a non-permanent visa (short-term workers, tourists, students and working holiday goers). For these people, a valid driver's license from their home country should be sufficient if it meets these requirements:








  • Your status does not change from temporary to permanent
  • Your license remains valid and updated
  • You have not been disqualified from driving in NSW or elsewhere and
  • You have not had your driving priviledges suspended for any reason.


When driving, the drivers license must be present and it must be written in English, or be accompanied by a valid English translation. If you are a New Zealand resident, an official NSW license must be obtained before 3 months in Australia.

If you are a visitor and want to obtain a NSW license, you can do so after 6 consecutive months in NSW.

For further information, please take a look at the RTA website.

Stay tuned for the next post that will have some tips for getting behind the wheel in Oz. Before you know it, you'll be on the open road having a great trip, but just don't forget which side of the road you are driving on!